Sunday, January 27, 2013

"Can't you see? It's not me you're dying for." --Ben Folds


Just like in literature, I prefer most of my music to be thought provoking and personal.  There are some songs that just stick with me and are new every time I hear them.

Last night I got to see Ben Folds Five live, and what a treat!  As a piano player myself, (I'm not skilled enough to call myself a pianist!) it was great fun to see Ben Folds' skill and talent displayed.  (Or, since I still have Persuasion on the brain, as Mrs. Musgrove would say: "Very well done indeed! Lord bless me! How those little fingers of yours fly about!"

Often funny and occasionally a bit irreverent, his music is nonetheless heartfelt and thought provoking. The one below, Brick, gets me every time.  [The video above (Do It Anyway!) shows the lighter side of Ben Folds and is tons of fun.  Fraggles!]  Enjoy, and happy Sunday!


BRICK

6am, day after Christmas 
I throw some clothes on in the dark 
The smell of cold 
Car seat is freezing 
The world is sleeping 
I am numb 

Up the stairs to her apartment 
She is balled up on the couch 
Her mom and dad went down to Charlotte 
They're not home to find us out 

And we drive 
Now that I have found someone 
I'm feeling more alone 
Than I ever have before
  She's a brick and I'm drowning slowly
Off the coast and I'm headed nowhere
She's a brick and I'm drowning slowly

They call her name at seven thirty 
I pace around the parking lot 
Then I walk down to buy her flowers 
And sell some gifts that I got

Can't you see 
It's not me you're dying for 
Now she's feeling more alone 
Then she ever has before 
She's a brick and I'm drowning slowly 
Off the coast and I'm headed nowhere 
She's a brick and I'm drowning slowly 

As weeks went by 
It showed that she was not fine 
They told me son it's time to tell the truth 
She broke down and I broke down 
Cause I was tired of lying
  
Driving home to her apartment 
For the moment we're alone 
She's alone 
I'm alone 
Now I know it

She's a brick and I'm drowning slowly 
Off the coast and I'm headed nowhere 
She's a brick and I'm drowning slowly


2 comments:

  1. The piano solo in Landed is just amazing. And how that song moved me when the thought of a beloved one crossed my mind... I have no words to describe it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Something else, right? There's something about a song (or book) written out of a deep personal experience that just can't be beat.

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you have to say, leave a comment!