Friday, February 4, 2011

For the Record: January 2011

What a great month for reading!  I got some books read that qualify for some of my challenges, and had some highly rated reads as well (apart from one that I could not finish, which shall remain nameless).  I felt like I read some real quality stuff this month.  My one regret is that I didn't get to read any nonfiction, so I'll definitely be aiming for some of that soon.

4 books were read for the Indie Lit Awards (I read Room in December):
  - Great House by Nicole Krauss --3.5 stars--
  - C by Tom McCarthy --3 stars--
  - Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson --3 stars--
  - Safe From the Sea by Peter Geye --5 stars--

4 books qualified for various challenges I have going:
  - Persuasion by Jane Austen (from the authors of 2010's top 5) --5 stars--
  - The Door in the Wall by Marguerite de Angeli (Newbery Award winner) --3 stars--
  - The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan (New Release) --5 stars--
  - The Road by Cormac McCarthy (Pulitzer Prize Winner, Back to the Classics Challenge) --4.5 stars--

And 5 more books beyond those (that I haven't posted reviews of yet):
  - True Grit by Charles Portis (I had to read this after seeing the new film) --4 stars--
  - The School Story by Andrew Clements (read aloud to my kiddos) --3.5 stars--
  - Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen (recommended by a friend) --3.5 stars--
  - Nine Horses by Billy Collins (poetry! yay me!) --3.5 stars--
  - Dragon Flight by Jessica Day George (read aloud to my girls) --4 stars--


Other posts in January:
  - First Lines of Pulitzer Prize Winners
  - Review of The Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby
  - Hated Books from High School
  - Reading Interrupted: New Books!
  - Scattered thoughts about reading, tracking reading, and more new books
  - Books for my kids for Christmas
  - How I became a Reader
  - Review of The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on a great month of reading! Here's to a fabulous February :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melody,
    I'm entranced by your blog, and will visit regularly from now on. I'm adding your blog to my "Blogs of Substance" blogroll. It's been months and months since I've experienced a blog that MUST be on the list.

    Best wishes and all the best books to you,
    Judith (Reader in the Wilderness)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teacher/Learner & JoAnn--thanks for the comments! It really was a great month for reading. Three 5-star books in a month is so unusual!

    Judith--thank you so much for your kind comments and for checking out my blog, I sincerely appreciate it! I'm off to check out yours as well, I look forward to getting to know you!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say, leave a comment!