Sunday, December 28, 2008

For the Record: December 2008:

I read a whole 3 books this month. But that is excusable, I am sure, since I had time only to send out exactly 0 Christmas cards. (I'm a few days early with this post, but I'm pretty sure I won't be finishing any other books before Thursday.)

The Scarlet Letter (Everyman's Library (Cloth))The Scarlet Letter by Nathanial Hawthorne. I've been meaning to read this book for quite awhile, and finally got it off my TBR list. I really had to force myself to finish this book. The story was great, but the writing style really got in my way. How many times should the word "ignominy" be used in one small story? Many MANY less than what was used in The Scarlet Letter. And what is Mr. Hawthorne's fascination with the phrase "it must needs be"? And really, if a narrator is going to be so obtrusive and presumptious, shouldn't he be introduced at some point? Sorry to be so harsh, just not my style.

Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Wonderful as always.

Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne. This was a last minute decision. It was a quick read, and very enjoyable. I like how the breaking science of the day was integrated into the book, and how much adventure was included. I'm recommending this to my boys to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say, leave a comment!