Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Yearly Stats: Reading Choices

What compelled me to read this year's books?

Bibliophilopolis posted some stats for 2010 that I found interesting.  Have you ever looked back on the year's books and separated them into categories based on WHY you chose to read them?

I really like this idea because it is a chance to see if there is a way to adjust next year's reading to make it more rewarding.  After all, the reason I read, ultimately, is for my pleasure.

I've read 111 books this year (so far--hoping I'll be able to fit a couple more in still) and this is how they broke down:
Angela's Ashes: A Memoir
Interest/Mood (for no other reason than I wanted to): 14
Half of these were very average for me, 4 were a bit above average, and the other 4 were definitely above average. (Favorite: Angela's Ashes)

Book Clubs (read for either of my 2 book clubs): 15
1 was rather terrible, 9 were average or a bit above average, 5 were very much above average...some were my favorite books of the year.  I enjoy these discussions so much that I wouldn't change a thing. (Favorites: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Star of the Sea)

Precious BaneGift/Loan (most were not based on interest, and I think my resulting opinions show that) : 9
3 of these were horrid, 4 were okay, 2 were quite good (these were the more personalized recommendations).  Lesson learned: take only personalized recommendations or do my research before diving in. (Favorite: Precious Bane)

Slimdown (chosen simply because it had been on my shelf too long): 7
In which I discovered that there was a reason why the book had stayed on my shelf for so long, resulting in a newfound skills of using a wishlist instead of buying anything I fancy.  3 were BAD, 3 were fine, 1 was enjoyable. (Favorite: Prayers for Sale)

The UnderneathRead-Aloud to my kiddos (many of these also counted for my Newbery Challenge, although that wasn't the deciding factor in reading them): 24
Pretty good number considering this doesn't count picture books and the like.  There were only 2-3 that disappointed me, but there was only 1 that I really liked.  Most fell into that midrange. (Favorite: The Underneath)

Personal Challenges (Newberys {that weren't read aloud,} Pulitzers, Willa Cather, Classics): 13
The Good Earth (Enriched Classics)Assuming I finish Our Mutual Friend, this number will go up to 14, but still not nearly what I'd like to have accomplished.  I want to focus on this area more in 2011.  6 were Newbery's and were all fairly average.  Of the others, 4 were okay (though I'm glad I read them,) and 3 were very good. (Favorite: The Good Earth)

JF Other (pre-reading for my kiddos): 15
All were pretty good, and I'm pretty happy with the number. These make for a nice break between more serious reads without sacrificing quality. (Favorite: Dragon Slippers)

ARC (through LibraryThing, BookSneeze, or publishers ): 9
High Fidelity: A NovelHm, a couple were pretty good, but overall rather disappointing.  I'm sure the pressure of the time-schedule doesn't help.  I need to be more selective with these. (Favorite: Prisoners in the Palace)

Recommendation from a book blog (either direct recommendations, or decisions based on blog reviews and comments): 7
For the most part, these were all fabulous.  The one that wasn't was one that perhaps I should have looked into a bit more before jumping in. (Favorites: Speak, High Fidelity)

Conclusion:
   - let go of some obligations (ARCs and friend's loans)
   - focus more on my challenges and the books you all have helped me put on my wishlist
   - get rid of some of the books on my shelf BEFORE reading them and save myself some frustration.

Have you ever looked at your books in this light?

4 comments:

  1. Melody I love that you did this! I hope I have time over the next couple of weeks to do this. i get geeky with any type of research and statistics of this nature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I think for the most part I read what interests me, but next year I'm devoted to finishing 5 challenges, so that will likely influence my choices more in 2011. That's interesting that many reccommendations from friends panned out...I wonder why?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit - you did a much better & thorough job of this than I. I suspect, however, that we both have gained some insight into our choices that will make next year's reading even better.
    -Jay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christina--I had a lot of fun doing this, I hope you get a chance to do it as well. The combo of books/lists/statistics was irresistible. :)

    Teacher/Learner--The books from friends were more just being passed around rather than actual recommendations, which taught me to be more judicial and less guilt-ridden about accepting them than I have been.

    Jay--well, I just couldn't help myself! It was very interesting and insightful to look at my books this way. Thank you for inspiring me to do it!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say, leave a comment!