Tuesday, January 12, 2010

For the Record: October 2009:

Somehow I've managed to reach 100 book read so far this year! I don't really know how I've done it, except that I've been so busy that I've absolutely needed some down time, and most of my quilting stuff is 500 miles away from me right now. These are the books that I read in October:

The Stranger, Albert Camus I picked this up at the book store without knowing anything about it (except that it was a lovely cloth bound book, a classic of some sort, and a very slim volume) and read it quickly. It is more modern in style than I usually read, but it was very interesting and thought provoking. Takes place in Algiers, written post WWII.

The Magician's Nephew Color Gift Edition (Narnia)The Magician's Nephew C.S. Lewis
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe C.S. Lewis I think I actually enjoyed The Magician's Nephew more, but that may be because I was less familiar with it. It's been so long since I've read these that it doesn't even really count.

How to Read Novels Like a Professor Thomas C. Foster. I wish I hadn't spent money on this book, but even more than that I am glad I didn't have this guy as a literature professor. Severe bias and arrogance in a teacher is one of my pet peeves, and as this book went on I felt that more and more. Ugh.

Riddle of the Rosetta Stone James Cross Giblin. A great insight to hieroglyphics, easy to read.

A Separate PeaceA Separate Peace John Knowles. I actually had a hard time getting through this book, simply because I was completely uninterested in the characters. Perhaps I just wasn't ready for a coming-of-age story, I don't know. Well written though.

Adara Beatrice Gormley. I preread this for our history, but won't be using it. The writing was okay, the theme a little confused/confusing.

Earthquake at Dawn Kristiana Gregory. I bought this from Sonlight, and wasn't disappointed. It's a great little book to learn about the SF earthquake and fires. It's fact mixed with fiction, based on true characters even. Good reading.

So Long, See You TomorrowSo Long, See You Tomorrow William Maxwell. This seemed to be a continuation of the family's story in They Came Like Swallows, and since much of Maxwell's work is autobiographical, it shouldn't be so surprising. I loved both books. Simple yet deep and real.

Peter Pan J.M. Barrie. Weird and dark. Much like all the movies out there about it, yet at the same time stranger and darker. I'm not much of a fantasy reader, so I'm sure my score is reflective of that.

On Fortune's Wheel Cynthia Voigt. YA fiction, somewhat coming-of-age/historical/fantasy. I really enjoyed it, thought it was well written and engaging.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say, leave a comment!