Sunday, September 5, 2010

For the Record: August 2010

August was filled with compulsory reading.  Not my favorite thing, but at least it culminated in two things: first, it made me realize that I should be more judicious about taking on ARCs, because they end up sapping precious reading and writing time, and haven't always been worth it.  Second, I discovered that it is easier than I thought it would be to read for duty rather than impulse.  I've long thought that I simply don't like books as much if I'm required to read them...if I was able to get through them at all.

The Samurai's Garden: A Novel (Paperback)
70. The Samurai’s Garden, Gail Tsukiyama, 3--I read this for one of my book clubs. It takes place during WWII in Japan, although the main character is Chinese. It also has an interesting side story about a leper colony. It was good, just kind of slow, polite, mellow.

71. Crap, Zest Books, 3.5--This is a small teen nonfiction book I read in exchange for a review for the publisher. It teaches how to recognize and deal with the cr*p in your life, from wherever or whomever it may come from. Surprisingly mature and respectful while still being funny enough for the teens.
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
72. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou, 4--My first experience with Maya Angelou...I picked this up on a whim and am glad I did.

73. Princess of the Midnight Ball, Jessica Day George, 4--This is a retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses, and it was really great. The four books I've read by this author have all been very good for the junior fiction audience--quick pace (but not lightning fast), good for boys or girls, and generally very clean/respectful.

74. Anne Bradstreet, D.B. Kellogg, 3--This was a review book from BookSneeze. There were many interesting bits on the history of Puritan life, and it was a small book, but there were also too many names/dates and not enough about Anne Bradstreet.

The 19th Wife: A Novel
75. The 19th Wife, David Ebershoff, 3.5--This was another book club read. I wouldn't have picked it myself, because I'm not really fascinated by polygamy. But it seemed pretty balanced in opinion, didn't seem to color the Mormon church in too negative a light. A bit too much swearing for my taste.

76. Masquerade, Nancy Moser, 3--Read for a review from LibraryThing's Early Reviewer program. Published by Bethany House (Christian Women's/Historical Fiction), this is a quick paced, plot driven historical novel set in 1875 or so. It takes place in England and New York. Enjoyable class/lifestyle and clothing bits; too 2D/quick for my taste, but good for the genre.
Little Bee: A Novel
77. Little Bee, Chris Cleave, 4--Another book club book--whew! I really enjoyed this book--heavy and light at the same time for me. It was unique. I liked the writing style and the glimpse into the life of refugees.


It ended up being a good reading month, and I'm happy to have gotten through all that required reading--it should buy me a few weeks of impulsive choices.

1 comment:

  1. I've had my eye on Little Bee for a while -- it's about time I picked it up, I think! A great reading month for you. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say, leave a comment!