Tuesday, April 28, 2015

That Cover, Though

I've been known to be guilty of judging a book by its cover. It has been a while, especially since I don't impulse buy as much as I used to, but while browsing the Barnes & Noble stacks for a good option to pick for my book club, this old habit reared its head in a major way.

Back when The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman was released, I was on the fence about whether I'd enjoy it. From reviews it sounded like it would be a little too dramatic and I'd get bored. The topic didn't intrigue me. But the cover was interesting and it got a lot of attention, so I bought it.


It remained on my TBR shelf for the next couple years. I'd pull it out occasionally and flip through, ultimately setting it back on the shelf and choosing a different book instead. I've never read Hoffman before (argument for reading it already) but all the women and all the drama (argument for putting it back on the shelf) and so it goes. Until I saw a new cover at B&N. And now I'm thinking my hunch was right. I may just get rid of the book now. I don't know.  I realize now it's a tie-in, which explains even further why I don't like it, but it really caught me off guard. Have you read it? Have you seen this cover?


2 comments:

  1. It was a DNF for me - so slow and melodramatic. Movie tie-in covers are a pet literary hate. That one has B/TV Movie written all over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing - that reinforces what I was feeling. I have a really hard time with melodramatic.

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you have to say, leave a comment!