Monday, April 1, 2013

Knitting up my Reading Time

Here are some pictures that I promised Belle and Heidi I'd post regarding some of my knitting projects.  I've always loved working with my hands, (mostly quilting, some crochet,) but just over a year ago I taught myself a new trick: knitting.

{Confession: I'd always held a reverse snobbery for knitting: everyone said it was so vastly superior to crochet that it couldn't possibly be.  Now I'm sold. There are so many possibilities!}


I went on a Great Sock-Making Spree in the months before Christmas, making 8 pairs to give away to family members and one for myself.  Now my girls are asking for socks, so even though I just about sickened myself with the small thread and small needles, I have more socks in my future.


I've also conquered the fear of making a whole entire sweater.  Not only did the sweater above turn out nicely, but it actually fits!  Super comfy, in fact.  Having miles of simple knitting to do was quite nice after the intensity of complex sock patterns.  I have 2 other sweaters currently in the works.


The hat with the horses.  It was for my 8-yo-horse-loving daughter who is adamant that horses should always be depicted in natural colors...which meant that I had to adapt a pattern and do things WAY beyond my skill level.  But.  I learned so much! And I do love a bit of a challenge.


This simple hat just came off my needles and was a wonderfully satisfying quick project.  The yarn has some cashmere in it, so it feels nice too.  I haven't decided it I'll keep it or gift it, but I'm leaning towards keep right now.


This is the other project that just came off my needles, but it is a gift so I don't want to say much about it.  I had to include it in my post, though, because it was a fun pattern and fun yarn.  I can't wait to give it away, but I'm trying to amass Christmas gifts so I shall attempt to practice restraint.

If you knit or crochet, Ravlery is a wonderful resource for patterns, info on yarn, and discussion.  I'd love to see anything you've made!  If you have pictures online, post a link or find me (melopher) on Ravelry.



7 comments:

  1. Wow, wow, wow! I just love the socks. I have wood floors, so socks are a must in the wintertime. The horse one is unbelievable! I'm the opposite of you--I do not like working with my hands very much. I'm not very creative. I love admiring everyone else's handiwork though.

    The sweater is very nice. I bet you saved a bunch of money making that. How's the move?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made myself some socks from yarn I reclaimed from an old sweater & they are so super cozy...perfect for wearing around the house. The move went well actually...probably since we had barely moved into the other house! My next task is to tackle storage, since all of my home schooling books are in there somewhere & I need to start planning next year's stuff (I'll have 3 of my 4 at home next year). I wasn't a part of putting things into storage so I'm a little nervous about what I'll find.

      Delete
  2. GORGEOUS!!! I haven't picked up my needles in nearly 10 years, but have been thinking it's time again. Your projects are inspiring me :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is a perfect way to keep my hands busy when my surroundings don't allow for reading...or better yet, multi-tasking knitting & audiobooks!

      Delete
  3. Your talent is amazing - I am in awe of it. If that's you wearing the hat that "just came off your needles" you ought to keep it. It looks so cute on you - if that's you anyway. Also, the horses? Seriously? You just taught yourself that? Who needs books when you have that kind of talent just coming off your needles? Melody, you are a very beautiful person inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep that's me in the hat...so it's decided: I'll keep it! I don't know how much is talent and how much is a love of textiles combined with adamantly independent determination. And counting. Lots of counting in following these patterns! Thanks for your sweet comments! :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, you're such an artist, Melody! I've always liked the idea of knitting, so I asked my grandma to teach me and two weeks later she died. I haven´t picked up my needles every since, actually, the project we started together still sits in the same place I left it before she died. I don't know if I'll ever pick up the needles again.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say, leave a comment!