Thursday, December 13, 2012

What to Read Next?

After realizing that I didn't have any books lined up to read next, I raided my book trees to come up with some that I'm in the mood for (or need to read for book club etc) and thought it was time for some first lines.  Like usual, I've gathered more books than I will feasibly be able to read in the near future, but hey—sometimes a girl has to keep her options open.

"Elsa was the youngest Emerson by ten years: the blondest, happiest accident."

Sounds like it will be light reading, which could be a good thing (I'll get through it faster, right?) or a bad thing (it could be lower quality writing and end up torturing me and drag on forever) depending on how I look at it.  But it is a book I need to read (review commitment) so it will be up sooner or later regardless. (304pp)




"this is my book and i am writing it by my own hand."


A distinct voice from the get-go awakens my interest, and the lovely cover art and compact size make it pleasant to hold.  Pair that with Crowe's review and I find myself eager to dive into this one. (172pp)



"After dark the rain began to fall again, but he had already made up his mind to go and anyway it had been raining for weeks."

The writing sounds promising, but based on the fact that the last book I read that was based on a Shakespeare play (A Thousand Acres) didn't work so well for me, I'm a bit skeptical. Plus, it's an Oprah book selection which means the content is likely to be a little rough at parts. It's a book club pick though, so I can only procrastinate so long! (562pp)


"We had been wandering for so long I forgot what it was like to live within walls or sleep through the night."

I've never read Alice Hoffman, and this one looks like it will pack an emotional punch. Looks pretty captivating to me though.  The biggest selling point is how much you all enjoyed it—looking forward to it! (501pp)


"Mariam was five years old the first time she heard the word harami."

Embarrassingly enough, I've never read this (or The Kite Runner—don't shoot me) and feel the need to rectify the situation.  I am, admittedly, a little put off by its extreme popularity, but I just need to get over it already. This is on loan from a book club friend.  (415pp)

"Maisie Dobbs shuffled the papers om her desk into a neat pile and placed them in a plain manila folder."

Ah, Maisie!  I've missed you!  This is only #2 in the series, but I enjoyed the first so thoroughly that the thought of returning to Maisie's world is a promise of comfort and delight. Here's to the hope that this promise will be fulfilled. (309pp)


"Dear Steve,
Do you know what an angioplasty is?"

I've had my eye on this for a little while, because out of all the books to have emerged from the latest wave of Austen-admiration, this one looks the most promising.  I'm hoping that I'm in for some laughs and smiles, and an all around enjoyable experience. (126pp)


"In his great novel Moby Dick, written during the Famine era, Herman Melville described Ireland as a "fast fish," that is to say a harpooned whale lashed helplessly to the side of a ship waiting to be cut up by its predators."

It is difficult to describe my love of Ireland, it's in my blood, but I'm thrilled to have received this book from LibraryThing's Early Reviewers, and can't wait to dive in, pencil in hand.  I've yet to read a non-fiction account of the Famine that was written for adults (although I highly recommend Black Potatoes for a wonderful overview or for the younger set) so I'm quite eager to learn new things...even though I love England too and am not too sure what I'll end up thinking about the blame game.  (235pp)

"Jean Patrick was already awake, listening to the storm, when Papa opened the door and stood by the side of the bed."

Last but not least, a book that I received from Indiespensable which also received accolades from some of my favorite bibliophiles (you!) Honestly, the biggest selling point for me right now with this book is that I've heard that it was fairly quick to read, which I'm hoping will win out over my fear that it will be too agenda-y.  Opinions? (360pp)

7 comments:

  1. The Dovekeepers is on my bedside table ready for picking up at any time. It's on my short list too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a pretty good list. I say: it's the holiday season. treat yourself to some Winspear and then work on whatever other books you'd like to. for me this is a time of year for distractions and it's hard to concentrate on serious fiction.

    On your list, I liked, loved, and/or admired: Running the Rift (not agenda-y. in fact, i get frustrated with Jean Patrick because he was so determinedly apolitical), Thousand Splendid Suns (quick reading, but emotionally manipulative, I thought, with lack of real character development), The Dovekeepers (impressive, but it took me almost the entire first narrative to decide that I liked it, but fascinating to learn/read of early peoples).

    I quit about 75-100 pages into Edgar Sawtelle, but I think I'm a minority view on that one.

    Let us know what you decide!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any but The Dovekeepers totally intrigued me with that teaser, so did Running the Rift, never heard of that one before.

    Good luck choosing and I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd be all over The Dovekeepers. Can't wait to get my hands on it one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judging by the covers, I feel more attracted to "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" but I haven't read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read all the Maisie Dobbs' books. Be sure to read them in order because much happens along the way. I have added "A Thousand Splendid Suns" to my 2013 TBR Challenge. It's been sitting on my shelf for too long. I've got "Edgar Sawtelle" too but I just can't commit to that one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to hear your thoughts! I ended up racing through Colour of Milk (couldn't resist) and now get to decide what's next. Maybe I'll lay them all out and play eenie-meenie-miney-mo.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say, leave a comment!