Friday, June 8, 2012

It's in the Air: Read-Along Time!

It's finally that time I've been working up to all year: On the Road (Kerouac) readalong at Unputdownables.  There's still time to join if you're up to it!  The book will be read throughout June and July, and the first chunk is open for discussion TODAY (the 8th).  Like always, I'm not sure how much of the progress I'll be posting on, but you've been warned. :)

Earlier this year I read (listened to, actually) One and Only: The Untold Story of On the Road, as a sort of introduction to the era and characters.  Soon I'll find out if that was a good choice or not!


In other read-along news, Emily at As the Crowe Flies and Reads is hosting a reading of Telegraph Avenue: the yet-to-be-released Michael Chabon book.  I believe that the sign-ups are closed, and I've decided not to join in...so why on earth am I talking about it?  It's an idea I love - publishers, booksellers, and bloggers getting together for a little pre-pub-experiment.

The only book I've read by Chabon is Gentlemen of the Road, and I was really not impressed.  However, everybody [and their brother] loves him, the Pulitzer Board loves him, and the synopsis of Telegraph Avenue is intriguing, especially as NorCal is a place close to my heart.  But.  I'm afraid I won't love it so I'm going to follow their discussion and do some cheerleading on the side.  That will all be happening in the month of July, so stay tuned!


Also happening in the JU** months is Allie's (at A Literary Odyssey) Victorian Celebration.  Have you decided to join in on this one?  Last year I focused on keeping up with regular adult fiction, and found myself missing nonfiction and classics, so I've swung back over to those this year.  I love how this works together with the Classics Club and the Back to the Classics Challenge.  It's motivation!

I couldn't wait for June to arrive and got a jumpstart on this challenge in May by reading The Warden by Anthony Trollope, but I'm not stopping there!  I'm currently reading Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, and am hoping to get through at least one more before I jump into my classic novellas in August.  And after that?  Well, after that I'll need a break. :)

3 comments:

  1. Such an air of excitement I feel when reading this post. You've got plans, baby! Belle

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many great events happening at the moment - I wish I had time to join them all!

    Hope you enjoy On The Road, I've never read it myself but my husband enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far On the Road has been much easier to read and much more interesting than I was afraid it would be, so that lightens my load considerably. :) I always feel like summer is over before it begins, but maybe this year will be different? doubtful, but I'm a fan of wishful thinking.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say, leave a comment!