Monday, March 12, 2012

The Classics Club

Chances are, if you like to read and blog classics, you've heard of Jillian's Classics Club.  I read a lot of not-exactly-classics books, so I'm trying to keep my list modest--these are all classics that I want to read now.  5 years sound more realistic.  (Actually, I've whittled down the list, knowing my propensity to set lofty goals.)

I'm viewing it more as a way to be organized in my Classics Wish List rather than as a Challenge To Conquer, even though 2 of my challenges (Willa Cather and Classic Novellas) feature heavily here.  The list will be linked on the tab: Book Lists.

  1. Don Quixote, Miguel De Cervantes
  2. Moll Flanders, Daniel Defoe
  3. The Sorrows of Young Werther, Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
  4. The Mysteries of Udolpho, Ann Radcliffe
  5. Ruth, Elizabeth Gaskell
  6. Frankenstein, Mary Shelley
  7. The Warden, Anthony Trollope
  8. Barchester Towers, Anthony Trollope
  9. Tess of the D'Urbervilles, Thomas Hardy
  10. Daniel Deronda, George Eliot
  11. A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens
  12. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, Anne Bronte
  13. Les Miserables, Victor Hugo
  14. The Devil's Pool, George Sand
  15. Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky
  16. Oblomov, Ivan Goncharov
  17. Fathers and Sons, Ivan Turgenev
  18. My Antonia, Willa Cather
  19. One of Ours, Willa Cather
  20. A Lost Lady, Willa Cather
  21. The Professor’s House, Willa Cather
  22. My Mortal Enemy, Willa Cather
  23. Death Comes for the Archbishop, Willa Cather
  24. Shadows on the Rock, Willa Cather
  25. Lucy Gayheart, Willa Cather
  26. Sapphira and the Slave Girl, Willa Cather
  27. The Razor's Edge, W.Somerset Maugham
  28. Mrs. Dalloway, Virginia Woolf
  29. The Great Divorce, C.S. Lewis
  30. Watership Down, Richard Adams
  31. The Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck
  32. Native Son, Richard Wright
  33. Things Fall Apart, Chinua Achebe
  34. A Room With a View, E.M Forster
  35. The Beautiful and the Damned, F. Scott Fitzgerald
  36. Brideshead Revisited, Evelyn Waugh
  37. The House of Mirth, Edith Wharton
  38. How Green Was My Valley, Richard Llewellyn
  39. Cold Comfort Farm, Stella Gibbons
  40. The Bell, Iris Murdoch
Stories, Novellas, Plays, Etc (cumulatively worth apprx. 10 classics)
  1. Youth and the Bright Medusa (stories) Willa Cather
  2. Obscure Destinies (stories), Willa Cather
  3. Not Under Forty (essays), Willa Cather
  4. The Old Beauty (stories), Willa Cather
  5. Willa Cather: On Writing (essays), Willa Cather
  6. The Kruetzer Sonata and Other Stories, Leo Tolstoy
  7. Eugene Onegin and Other Poems, Alexander Pushkin
  8. The Collected Stories, Alexander Pushkin
  9. Lady Windmere's Fan, Oscar Wilde
  10. Living/Loving/Party Going, Henry Green
  11. Pygmalion, George Bernard Shaw
  12. Freya of the Seven Isles, Joseph Conrad
  13. Stempenyu: A Jewish Romace, Sholem Aleichem
  14. The Hound of the Baskervilles, Arthur Conan Doyle
  15. The Duel, Anton Chekov
  16. My Life, Anton Chekov
  17. The Nice Old Man and the Pretty Girl, Italo Svevo
  18. The Touchstone, Edith Wharton
  19. The Man Who Would be King, Rudyard Kipling
  20. The Duel, Alexander Kuprin
  21. The Lemoine Affair, Marcel Proust
  22. Jacob's Room, Virginia Woolf
  23. Parnassus on Wheels, Christopher Marley
  24. May Day, F.Scott Fitzgerald
  25. La Fanfarlo, Charles Baudelaire
  26. The Alienist, Machado de Assis
  27. The Distracted Preacher, Thomas Hardy
  28. The Enchanted Wander, Nikolai Leskov

7 comments:

  1. Hi Melody! I just wanted to drop by to check out your list and welcome you! I'm excited you're reading so many essays and short stories. I need to do that eventually too. Cheers, and enjoy this! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think (and hope) you'll love A Room With a View. It holds up well: very funny and romantic. I loved Things Fall Apart, too. Powerful story. Good luck and don't sweat lofty goals--they're the best kind :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Listing it all out is totally scary! I can't get my 9 read the the other classics challenge with Sarahreadstoomuch. But, maybe if I did The Classics Club, It would take off the immediate pressure and I could just relax. I read classics anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I like that you included novellas and plays.

    I'm not joining the club (deadline have a bad effect on me) but I am looking forward to all the great posts and reviews that will come out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yours is the first list I've seen with so many authors I haven't heard of. Wonderful--lots for me to check out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yours is the first list I've seen with so many authors I haven't heard of. Wonderful--lots for me to check out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just discovered your blog via Classics Club. I'm about 18 chapters into Don Quixote...very funny. We share some others on your list too.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say, leave a comment!