Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Eye of the Storm

Vacation Part One is over: we are back from St. John, trying to pull everything together before heading up to Northern California mountains for Thanksgiving.  I have a few little days between travel, and of course one priority is updating the good old book blog.  :)

I always get incredulous responses when I mention that the Caribbean doesn't excite me so much, but the mountains? Dreamy.  What it boils down to is that I'm just not a hot weather girl.  Now don't get me wrong--it's absolutely gorgeous and the ocean beats the So Cal ocean any day of the week, but it's awfully hard to see through the sweat and bug bites (blech, don't even get me started on those).  But this is all good news for you, since if I'm ever being cajoled into going again, I very well may just offer the trip to one of you instead. ;)

The view from our villa: Francis Bay on St. John--a rare sunny day!
The wedding (my husband's brother) was lovely and unique--very casual on a small secluded beach.  The day (11/11/11 of course) happened to be clear and beautiful for the most part, even though it rained quite a bit otherwise.  We didn't get many pictures, actually, since we spent so much time visiting, wet, or otherwise out of commission.  There happen to be exactly zero pictures of me, but here's one of my hunny and my girlies, and another of my boys:

Haha, un-posed photos are wonderful.
So now we move on...my Google Reader is suffering from sever constipation, and I discovered that Anna Karenina wasn't quite as easy to read in a beachy-tropical locale, not to mention the fact that I had a wonderful week of reading that I want to share with you all.  I'm happy to be back in a place where the heater is a welcome presence, and hoping for the chance to catch up soon.  Cheers!

7 comments:

  1. Anna K and St. John - not a match at all. Maybe Stephanie Plum and St. John.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belle is right! Anna K doesn't go with a vacation in the Caribbean! I tried to read it on vacation in Maine, and it just didn't happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I somehow thought it wouldn't be a big deal, but oh boy! Too much going on, different pace, I don't know but it really didn't work. I'm glad I took my 15yo son's advice and brought lighter reads too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a hot-weather girl at all. I would rather be snuggled up somewhere cold!

    Glad you enjoyed your holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no idea how i missed this post when you wrote it. i came to read the AK update but stayed to read older posts, and here it was. Please consider me as a top contender for taking your place if you're ever pressed into another awful Caribbean trip!

    Sorry to hear that your weather was uncooperative, but I'm glad the wedding itself was great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel so silly griping about a "dream trip"! What a goof I am. :) My husband said the weather was better than what he was expecting, so I'm obv. no judge of reasonableness in regards to hot climates!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say, leave a comment!