Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Coachella 2011

Coachella is a music festival, and has nothing to do whatsoever with books...apart from the fact that it is what kept me from reading, writing, and blogging this last weekend.  It is a music festival that tens of thousands of people attend.  Not only was it crowded, but it was ridiculously hot.  It's by Palm Springs, so I suppose it is fairly normal to be hot, but nature exercised its sense of humor last weekend and temperatures spiked solely for the three days we were there.  Which means that there were tens of thousands of sweaty people there.  Sound fun yet?

I got to see some favorites: Mumford and Sons, The Swell Season, and Freelance Whales, find some new favorites: Flogging Molly, Gogol Bordello, and !!!, as well as listen to many others that are popular right now.  Really there are too many to mention...we managed to see around 40 bands in the 3 days, and I decided that music festivals are best left to the extroverts of the world.  On the bright side, it inspired me to write 3 poems. :)
At the end of the 3 days, Nature apologized for the horrid
heat by rewarding everyone with a spectacular sunset.
As far as books go, I've read some great ones recently that I'm eager to write reviews for.  I'm not sure how much blogging I'll get done before Easter, but I'm crossing my fingers.

I usually keep my language geekishness to myself somewhat, because I'd hate for people to feel like I was making fun of them, but seeing this sign repeatedly (at the vacation rental we stayed at during the festival) finally did me in and I posted it on Facebook.  Something so simple as misspelling "handle" really shouldn't be so entertaining, right? But I just can't help thinking about what poor Handel would think about it.

I hope you all had a great weekend (at much cooler temperatures than the festival's high-90s F) with plenty of reading opportunities.  Enjoy what bits of spring you can find this week!

5 comments:

  1. Handle Handel. Hey. It was a music festival, after all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I just love it. My dd posted on someone's Facebook page, "I'm preying for you." And although someone really was going through a tough time, it really made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Handel! I'm trying to be sympathetic about your Palm Springs heat but really it beats the snow covering that I woke up to on Friday. I am very done with snow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew. Snow--yuck. But, 90 degrees does sound tempting since I'm sitting at 50 right now. Melody, I see you finished the Reese Chronological Bible. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Belle, I'm one of those weirdos that loves snow (even when I lived where it snowed 9 months of the year) so you only get curtesy-sympathy-points from me. ;) sounds like we should have swapped weather!

    Heidi, word play just cracks me up...I'll purposefully 'mis-hear' my kids so I can entertain myself linguistically. :) reading through the Reese Chronological Bible at such a quick pace was a challenge (66 days!) but very rewarding too.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say, leave a comment!