Thursday, July 29, 2010

Resurrection in May by Lisa Samson

Resurrection in MayTitle: Resurrection in May
Author: Lisa Samson
Pages: 322
Published: Thomas Nelson 2010
Read For: BookSneeze review copy
My Rating: 3.5 stars (out of 5)

The scope of the storyline in Resurrection in May is so broad as to seem almost improbable until you begin reading the story.  When we first meet May Seymour, she is in a sad state--deeply sunk in a fast-paced, shallow lifestyle at the end of her college years.  Her physical journey takes her to Rwanda and back to Kentucky, after narrowly escaping the brutal destruction of the town she was volunteering in.  Her spiritual journey is cloudy; she is lost and filled with doubt.  May's wounds are deep and her recovery is long.

It took me a few chapters to adapt to the author's writing style and get into the story, but it wasn't long before I was sucked into the story.  Largely plot driven, I found myself hooked, not wanting to put the book down.  I often wished for a more thorough understanding of the characters, as I believe that would have made the emotional impact that much greater, but what was lacking in depth of character was made up for with the engaging plot.  The gardening, cooking, and book references throughout were a fun touch.  I appreciated the picture of true religion (if you will) and the willingness on the part of the author and publisher to address a topic that wasn't candy coated.

This was a diversion from my typical book selections, and overall I was pleasantly surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say, leave a comment!